Search Engine Optimization - The most effective way to drive relevant traffic to your website.
|Natural search listings refers to all unpaid search results that appear on the right hand side of a search engine, when relevant keywords are queried. click here to see an
Here are few simple steps which can be implemented easily on your website to rank higher on Natural search listings -
- Keyword Research
- Page Title Optimization
- Meta Tags Optimization
- Content Optimization
- Heading Tags Optimization
- Create a Site map
- Link Popularity
Keywords are key phrases which a user types on a search engine to look for services and products. First let's start with a basic keyword research that will gives us a list of keywords to target for your website.
A comprehensive list of keyword will cover all the keywords related to your services and products offered. Ranking high for these keywords will generate more sales for you !
Eg: Taking Shaadi.com into consideration, as our website mainly caters to the Online Matrimonial Domain, The most popular keywords searched here are matrimonial, matrimonials, indian matrimonial, indian bride, matrimonals
Thus, It would be very beneficial to insert these keywords in the Meta Tags of your website, we will be discussing later on in the document.
Meanwhile, Effective Tools that you can use to shortlist the relevant keywords for your website -
To read more about keyword research : isitebuild.com
Back to top
Page Title Optimization
The Page Title is one of the key page elements that the search engine indexes and shows the end user the relevant results of the key words entered.
Eg : If a user searches for "Indian matrimonial" as a keyword, as our page title contains indian matrimonial as a keyword, our link shows up on the search engine results page.
The correct placement for the Title Tag- <title> </title> is between the Head Tag - <HEAD> and </HEAD> within the HTML of your web page.
Syntax : <title>Your page keyword - SiteName.com</title>
Example : <title> Shaadi.com Matrimonials - Indian Matrimonial </title>
Tips to a great Page Title -
- Ensure that the keyword relevant for the page is included in the title.
- Make sure that your page title is around 60 characters (maximum six words).
- Do not include words such as: "and", "the", "A", "to", "for", "of" etc. in the title.
- If possible, each page should have a unique title.
Back to top
Meta Tags Optimization
Meta tags help search engines to find out important information about your page that they might have had difficulty determining otherwise. There are two meta tags - Meta Description Tag and Meta Keywords Tag that can help your search engine listings.
The META Description Tag, is used to communicate to the Search Engines what your website is all about. It describes your website as a whole. Your meta description tag should contain an accurate keyword rich description about your website.
Syntax: <META NAME="description" content="This would be your description of what is on your page. Your most important keyword phrases should appear in this description.">
Example : <meta name="Description" content="Shaadi.com Matrimonials - Indian Matrimonial, The No.1 Matrimonial Services Provider. Add your Free Matrimonials Profile Now! and Contact Partners for FREE!">
When you write a meta description tag, you should limit it to 170 characters or 200 characters at most
The META Keywords Tag is where you list keywords and keyword phrases that you've targeted for that specific page. Yahoo! Search strongly recommends the use of the META Keywords Tag. The keywords tag may be considered in the overall equation of page quality depending on the search resource.
Syntax: <META NAME="keywords" content="keywords phrase 1, keyword phrase 2, keyword phrase 3, etc.">
Example : <meta name="Keywords" content="matrimonial, matrimonials, indian matrimonial, muslim, india, sikh, indian bride">
Please note :
For more details on some more tips on how to optimize your Meta Tags:
- The correct placement for both meta tags is between the <HEAD> and </HEAD> tags within the HTML the makes up your page.
- Place the meta description tag first and then the meta keywords tag.
- We recommend that your Keywords Meta not exceed 1024 characters including spaces. We recommend that your Description Meta tag not exceed 250 characters including spaces.
Back to top
Google loves nothing more than content rich websites. Compelling content on your website is the essential key to attracting more targeted and qualified visitors to your site.
As a partner, we recommend that you integrate content from www.shaaditimes.com
Our relationship and wedding portal through the Shaaditimes RSS Feed . All you need to do is include the code in the HTML of your web page, and you can be assured of regularly updated quality content. The content provided in the RSS feeds are summaries of the stories, which lead back to shaaditimes for the complete story.
You would just need to follow these simple steps to get up and running with the RSS feeds.
- Upload this file in the root directory of your web server. To Download Click Here
- Insert the following code where you would want it to appear in the page:
<div style="padding-right:0px; width:370px; height:670px; overflow: auto;"><?PHP
A few tips to write good web content : -
Here are few articles on improvising your website content :
- Give the page a keyword heading title using H1, H2 tags.
- First 250 words of your page content should include keyword rich content.
- Make sure that keywords are used in internal and external links.
Back to top
Heading Tags Optimization
Heading tags are one of the most important tags appearing on the page not only to the users but they are also very important to the search engines. Because these tags are very closely related to the content of the page that they appear on, they can really boost your rankings. That's why we advise you to have at least one Heading tag on each page. Headings are defined with the <h1> to <h6> tags.
<h1> defines the largest heading and holds the most importance in terms of on page factors, whereas <h6> defines the smallest heading and is considered least important by the search engines.
Many of the major search engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN place a lot of relevance on keywords in header tags (H1, H2 and H3).
Example : For Shaadi.com, we see that keywords such as matrimonial, matrimonials, indian matrimonial, indian bride enjoy a good search volume on the Search Engines.
As a result Ranking the above in hierarchy,
So, the syntax of the Heading Tags in the body section based on the above example will be:
- indian matrimonial
- indian bride
<H1 ALIGN="CENTER">matrimonial </H1>
<H3 ALIGN="CENTER">indian matrimonial </H3>
<H4 ALIGN="CENTER">indian bride</H4>
Back to top
Create a Site Map
Site Maps are useful for visitors looking for specific information on your website. They are also great "spider-food" i.e they enable search engines to easily find and index every page you want them to find on your site. No matter what the size of your website, you should include a detailed, text-based site map, with a link to every page and preferably, a link for each page. Also remember to link the site map from the home page.
Example : Shaadi Sitemap
Website submission to Online Directories and Search Engines
Submitting your site to search engines and directories like -Dmoz, Google, Yahoo, AltaVista, All The Web, MSN ensures continuous visibility for your website free of cost on the web.
A checklist where you need to submit your website for Free ! -
Back to top
This is the single most influential factor for determining how well a web site will perform in search engine rankings. A web site's link popularity is computed from the number and more importantly, the quality of links pointing to a web site.
There are 3 ways of increasing your link popularity of your website : Outbound Links, Inbound Links, Reciprocal
Outbound links to a website are links that originate from your website/webpage and points to any external website/webpage.
Eg : Link of any External site on your site -----> External Site
Inbound links to a web site are links that originate from an external web site to your website.
Eg : Link of your site on an External site -----> Your site
The higher the page rank (2 and above) of the external website, it would be more beneficial for you to have your websites link on the external relevant websites. To achieve a high link popularity, the type of links you should build are Inbound Links
- Many directories exist and vary in their methods of getting your link posted on them. They provide a great source of quality inbound, one-way links. If you are looking for a list of Free Web Directories to do Free Directory Submissions to, this free web directory list is a good place to start. Seocompany Ofcourse, getting your website listed at Dmoz and Yahoo is a must
- The most powerful way to get inbound, one-way links is to have great site content that other web sites will want to link to. This allows you to get links from sites other than directories, which can definitely be better. The best thing about this is that it requires no communication on your part, it just happens naturally. If your site has poor content then others sites may not link, including the directories. Most of the top ranking web sites today got to the top because of great content. Writing interesting and informative articles for your web site is a good way of getting these kind of links.
Placing an external link on your website and in return , you give him a link to be placed on the external website
Eg :Link of an external site on your site --->External site PLUS Link of your site on external site ---> your site
Resources and References on Link Popularity : Seobook.
Back to top
| PPC Kit | Learning Resources |